THE STORY OF SAINT JOHN'S

EARLY DAYS

1839

THE REVEREND ALEXANDER ORR

ministers to a new congregation formed in the pleasant countryside of 

MALONE ('MAGH LUBHAN  - the plain of the lambs’). 

These meetings were probably held in some temporary structure.

1842

NEW CHURCH BUILDING 

is consecrated by the Lord Bishop of Connor and the

REVEREND JOHN WRIXON

is instituted as the first incumbent of the Parish. 

This building, demolished in 1968, was used in later years by McCracken Presbyterian.

1872

THE REVEREND WALTER RIDDALL 

succeeds JOHN WRIXON who has completed 30 years ministry.

1880

THE REVEREND ALFRED HORATIO GRAY 

is instituted as incumbent

GROWING UP

1886

Belfast has begun encroachment on the 'Plain of the lambs', the church building is too small for a rapidly increasing congregation. In this year a parish controversy rages as to whether to enlarge the old church or erect a new building - an argument which is to continue for some six years.

1890

THE REVEREND RICHARD WHITCHURCH SEAVER succeeds Mr Gray. 

Under new guidance the contending Parties became reconciled so that in

1892

A PROPOSAL FOR A NEW CHURCH is enthusiastically approved at a Parish Meeting held on the 9th day of June. A free site had been offered – the present site in Osborne Park.

 A NEW CHURCH IS BUILT

 1893

MR. HENRY SEAVER, the Rector's brother and local Architect of repute, has prepared designs and in this year THE FOUNDATION STONE IS LAID.by Mrs WH Wilson of Stranmillis House, whose husband is churchwarden.

This can be seen in the north-east porch. It was envisaged that the building would proceed in stages as funds became available - the chancel, organ chamber and transepts, then the nave extended, and finally the tower,  

1894

THE NEW CHURCH IS CONSECRATED on the 21st day of April by the Right Reverend T J Welland Bishop of Down, Connor and Dromore. At this Service the preacher was the Reverend J H. Bernard (later Archbishop of Dublin).

1906

The Nave is extended, but the proposed tower was, and still remains, uncompleted.

MORE BUILDING

1908

A NEW CHOIR VESTRY AND MEETING ROOM 

is erected to serve the need for more ancillary accommodation.

1921

THE MINOR HALL 

is formed by extending the choir vestry. This building was later demolished.

1929

 

THE REVEREND 

FREDERICK HENRY PAGET L'ESTRANGE 

is appointed Rector.

1938

THE SEAVER HALL 

is built to accommodate ever increasing expansion of organisations, especially youth.

1953

 

THE REVEREND

EDWARD WILLIAM LOUIS GARRETT 

becomes Rector on the retirement of Canon L'Estrange

1964

THE L'ESTRANGE HALL 

is erected to cater for yet more parish activities.

1972

 

THE REVEREND EDWARD FLEWETT DARLING 

becomes Rector following the death of the Reverend E. W. L. Garrett.

1974

THE EDWARD GARRETT MEMORIAL CHAPEL

formed by conversion of the South Transept, is dedicated by the Lord Bishop of Connor on the Feast of Saint Michael and All Angels, the 29th of September.

198O

A NEW BAPTISTRY AND HISTORICAL CORNER 

is dedicated by the Lord Bishop of Connor on Saint Peter's Day, 29th June, in memory of Richard Maxwell Finlay a devoted member of the church.

1985

THE REVEREND EDWARD FLEWETT DARLING 

elected Lord Bishop of Limerick and Killaloe on 9th September. Consecrated in Christ Church Cathedral Dublin on 30th November. Enthroned in Limerick Cathedral on 8th December.

1986

THE REVEREND ALAN EDWIN THOMAS HARPER

instituted rector.

1993

CENTENARY CELEBRATIONS

of the Church of St John the Evangelist, Malone.

1996

THE REVD CANON ALAN EDWIN THOMAS HARPER

made Archdeacon of Connor and Precentor of St Anne's Cathedral, Belfast.

2000

MILLENIUM CELEBRATIONS

and burial of Time Capsule.

2001/2

ARCHDEACON ALAN EDWIN THOMAS HARPER

elected Lord Bishop of Connor on 17th December 2001;  Consecrated in St Anne's Cathedral Belfast on 18th March 2002; Enthroned in Christ Church Cathedral, Lisburn on 25th April 2002.

2002

THE REVD CANON JOHN OWEN MANN 

instituted as Rector on 12th September.

2003

REFURBISHMENT OF THE STAINED GLASS WINDOWS.

2011

THE REVD CANON JOHN OWEN MANN 

appointed to be Dean of Belfast on 9 June 2011, Instituted to St Anne's, Belfast and Installed as Dean of Belfast on Tuesday 30 September 2011
2012

 

THE REVD ROBERT WILLIAM JONES

instituted as Rector on 13 May 2012;

appointed Rural Dean for South Belfast In February 2013

installed as Canon of Connor in St Anne's Cathedral, Belfast on 11 September 2013.

   

home.....